DEBATING THE DOCUMENTS: U.S. History
Connect with a representative to create a custom curriculum for your district.
Students think like historians as they analyze sources, debate points of view, and write short essays for document-based questions.
Each reproducible unit contains groups of documents with differing views, six worksheets (two interpretive, one comparative for each pair), a background essay, a teacher introduction, student directions, two DBQs with suggestions for writing, and a DBQ scoring guide. Each set comes with a guide with reproducible student pages that contains three whole-class debates.
The COLONIAL AMERICA–CIVIL WAR subset includes:
- THE PILGRIMS: Image and Reality
- BANISHED: Anne Hutchinson and the Antinomian Crisis
- SLAVERY AND VIRGINIA’S ENLIGHTENED ARISTOCRACY
- THE COVENANT CHAIN: The Iroquois and Colonial America
- BEN FRANKLIN: A New American Identity?
- LOYALISTS AND PATRIOTS
- WE HOLD THESE TRUTHS: The Meaning of the Declaration
- WHAT DID THE GREAT AWAKENING AWAKEN?
- THE “GRAND COMPROMISE” AND THE MAKING OF THE CONSTITUTION
- JOHN MARSHALL’S COURT
- “A KNACK AT CONTRIVING”: Why Americans Invented Things
- HENRY CLAY’S AMERICAN SYSTEM
- THE MONROE DOCTRINE: Was It Necessary?
- THE LOWELL EXPERIENCE
- JACKSON AND THE INDIANS
- REVIVALISTS AND UTOPIANS: Reform in Antebellum America
- THE MISSOURI COMPROMISE
- CALHOUN VS. THE ABOLITIONISTS
- THE WAR WITH MEXICO
- UNCLE TOM’S CABIN
- “BLEEDING KANSAS”: A Failure of Compromise
- WAS JOHN BROWN A HERO?
- BLUE OR GRAY: Why Men Fought in the Civil War
- THE EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION
The GILDED AGE–EARLY 2000s subset includes:
- THE IMPEACHMENT OF ANDREW JOHNSON
- ROCKEFELLER: Monster Monopolist or Marketplace Hero?
- ARRIVAL: The Immigrant and the City
- THE HAYMARKET SQUARE RIOT
- WHY RECONSTRUCTION FAILED
- DEMOCRACY & THE RAILROADS: Friends or Foes?
- THE WEST: Paradise, or Paradise Lost?
- WHY FIGHT FOR CUBA?
- BRYAN’S CROSS OF GOLD
- HOW “PROGRESSIVE” WAS PROGRESSIVISM?
- WHY WOMEN WON THE VOTE
- SHOULD WILSON HAVE KEPT US OUT OF WAR?
- THE FIRST “RED SCARE”
- THE SCOPES TRIAL
- THE NEW DEAL: DID IT WORK?
- AMERICA FIRST: ISOLATIONISM AND WORLD WAR II
- THE JAPANESE AMERICAN INTERNMENT: Bigotry or Security?
- HOW THE WAR CHANGED AMERICA
- 1945: THE POST-WAR MOOD
- ANTI-COMMUNISM: Mass Hysteria or Reasonable Fear?
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. AND THE “BLACK POWER” DEBATE
- TET: Victory or Defeat?
- PLURIBUS AND UNUM: The Diversity Debate
- IDEALS AND VIOLENCE: The Sixties Youth Rebellion
- THE NEW FEMINISM AND ITS CRITICS
- REAGAN AND THE FALL OF COMMUNISM
- SUBURBIA: American Dream or Stifling Dead-End?