DEBATING THE DOCUMENTS: World History
Connect with a representative to create a custom curriculum for your district.
Students think like historians as they analyze primary sources, write short essays for document-based questions, and take part in a culminating debate.
Each reproducible unit contains groups of documents with differing views, six worksheets (two interpretive, one comparative for each pair), a background essay, a teacher introduction, student directions, two DBQs with suggestions for writing, and a DBQ scoring guide. Each set comes with a guide with reproducible student pages that contains three whole-class debates.
The ANCIENT WORLD–EXPLORATION subset includes:
- FROM HUNTER-GATHERERS TO FARMERS AND HERDERS
- RIVERS AND CIVILIZATION: What’s the Link?
- FROM GOD-KINGS TO WORLD RELIGIONS
- BUDDHA’S TRAVELS: A Case of East Asian Cultural Diffusion
- SLAVES, PEASANTS, AND SCRIBES IN THE ANCIENT WORLD
- HOW DEMOCRATIC WERE THE ANCIENT GREEKS?
- ISLAM’S IMPACT
- INDUSTRIAL INNOVATION IN CHINA
- EUROPE’S TEACHERS, EUROPE’S LEARNERS
- TRADE AND THE PLAGUE: The Perils of Interaction
- WOMEN’S LIVES BEFORE THE MODERN ERA
- EUROPEAN FEUDALISM AND THE CHINESE IMPERIAL ORDER
- THE INDIAN OCEAN: A Trading Network in Transition
- THE IMPACT OF THE PRINTING PRESS IN CHINA AND EUROPE
- TWO WORLDS COLLIDE: Europe’s Encounter with the Americas
The SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTION–GLOBALIZATION includes:
- WHAT WAS REVOLUTIONARY ABOUT THE SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTION?
- AFRICA’S SLAVES: The Transatlantic and East African Slave Trades
- “LEVIATHAN”: Centralized States in the Early Modern Era
- INDUSTRIALISM: Why Was England First?
- WOMEN AND THE ENLIGHTENMENT
- POLITICAL REVOLUTION: What Was It Good For?
- RESPONSE TO THE WEST: China, India, and Japan
- SCIENCE AND FAITH IN THE 19TH CENTURY
- EUROPE’S SCRAMBLE FOR AFRICA: Why Did They Do It?
- SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY: The Threat and the Promise
- THE TOTALITARIAN TEMPTATION
- IS POPULATION GROWTH A CRISIS?
- WOMEN IN THE MODERN WORLD
- DECOLONIZATION: Dream and Reality
- GLOBALIZATION: Yesterday and Today
8½" x 11"